Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Chat » Experiences




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012, 21:07 
Offline
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:54
Posts: 49791
Location: Paarl...ex Durbs
Wanted to replace my windscreen at Paarl Glass, but my broker referred me to this place where I didn't need to pay any excess. I would have paid R500 excess as Paarl Glass (even though I pay more on my monthly insurance premiums & 'bought off' my excess...with sound system & glass claims you still have to pay an excess amount :wack: )

Anyways...was a bit sceptical but I tried them out. The Glass Lab - approved Santam windscreen place apparently. Got there at 10h00, left at 12h10.

Not an original Opel windscreen, it has another name on it...but it has the tinting at top & the 'black edging' right around, like the original Opel windscreens.

Very good service & they work very neatly as well + they vacuumed the Ute as well :D

They situated at 265 Durban Rd, Tygervalley.

_________________
Opel Club Cape Town Member


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012, 09:20 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 16:08
Posts: 1126
Location: Never in the same spot too long
Nice :thumbup:

My windscreen is cracked on both sides now at a certain angle the crack causes a very bright glow from the sun right into my eyes :fight:

_________________
Image
"Your entire education comes from classic car magazines and you dress like you're on a condom run for the mob."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012, 14:14 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 19:30
Posts: 2149
I will be checking this out, hopefully I can also get away without paying excess :duim:

_________________
1996 200is 312000km,272 Kent cam,4-1branch, 57mm Powerflow exhaust, fully balanced bottom end, DIY ported
Short Shift mod

Complete with - cracked windscreen, fading boot spoiler + bumpers, melted fusebox, incorrect grill, no headliner,cracked front disks, warped rear, 1X buckled and scraped mag 2X buckled

Gomoto GT125 71000km, 7kw of frame bending power :-) Still the most reliable vehicle I have owned


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012, 15:21 
Offline
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:54
Posts: 49791
Location: Paarl...ex Durbs
I'm 90% sure though, that you must be insured with Santam to not pay any excess when using this place.

_________________
Opel Club Cape Town Member


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012, 17:15 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 19:30
Posts: 2149
dammit :-(

I will check next week anyway, I will update here.

_________________
1996 200is 312000km,272 Kent cam,4-1branch, 57mm Powerflow exhaust, fully balanced bottom end, DIY ported
Short Shift mod

Complete with - cracked windscreen, fading boot spoiler + bumpers, melted fusebox, incorrect grill, no headliner,cracked front disks, warped rear, 1X buckled and scraped mag 2X buckled

Gomoto GT125 71000km, 7kw of frame bending power :-) Still the most reliable vehicle I have owned


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012, 13:41 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
Filter, Exhaust, Branch & Chip
User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 19:30
Posts: 2149
They only work with Santam :thumbdown:

_________________
1996 200is 312000km,272 Kent cam,4-1branch, 57mm Powerflow exhaust, fully balanced bottom end, DIY ported
Short Shift mod

Complete with - cracked windscreen, fading boot spoiler + bumpers, melted fusebox, incorrect grill, no headliner,cracked front disks, warped rear, 1X buckled and scraped mag 2X buckled

Gomoto GT125 71000km, 7kw of frame bending power :-) Still the most reliable vehicle I have owned


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012, 18:25 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 10:46
Posts: 672
http://www.facebook.com/#!/emergencyglassrepairs

Try Emergency Glass Repairs

And normaly u have to wait 3 houers for it to set! :duim:

_________________
ImageImage

10 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 i

EX: 04 Opel Corsa B 1.4 i SOLD Very Sad
EX: 95 Golf MK1 1.3 SOLD


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012, 09:00 
Offline
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:54
Posts: 49791
Location: Paarl...ex Durbs
I noticed that the windscreen has a haze, a very light light green / blue, on it & now with this w/ends rain, it was pretty difficult to see through it.
Called Santam client care (cos' I received a letter from them to ask if I'm satisfied) & they said they will have to replace it, so I'm going through to Glass Lab this week to have them check it out. Roger from Glass Lab said that there should be no haze on it whatsoever. He offered that I go through to their branch in S/West but Tygervalley is closer for me.
I'm still very happy with their workmanship & service, it's now just this windscreen haze thats bothering me.

_________________
Opel Club Cape Town Member


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012, 10:37 
Offline
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:54
Posts: 49791
Location: Paarl...ex Durbs
Ok, so they replaced my windscreen on Fri, which is much better than the initial one they fitted (looks nicer as well with a black sticker / edging on the inside). No light green / blue haze on this one.
They guy explained that sometimes the packaging causes that but he said we should just replace it one time.
The rain still 'sticks' to it a bit, but I think I should get me that liquid that you spray on to let the water dripples slide off it.

_________________
Opel Club Cape Town Member


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 00:42 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 10:46
Posts: 672
It there does NOT stand "Shatterproof" on the windscreen then its NOT a Genuine Shatterproof windscreen :thumbup: U get cheap screens Between R300 - R750 from China

_________________
ImageImage

10 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 i

EX: 04 Opel Corsa B 1.4 i SOLD Very Sad
EX: 95 Golf MK1 1.3 SOLD


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 00:53 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 10:46
Posts: 672
Image

_________________
ImageImage

10 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 i

EX: 04 Opel Corsa B 1.4 i SOLD Very Sad
EX: 95 Golf MK1 1.3 SOLD


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 11:03 
Offline
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:54
Posts: 49791
Location: Paarl...ex Durbs
There is Shatterproof embossed on my windscreen. Santam will not fit cheapline windscreens.

_________________
Opel Club Cape Town Member


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 12:13 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 10:46
Posts: 672
Corsa Addict wrote:
There is Shatterproof embossed on my windscreen. Santam will not fit cheapline windscreens.


:thumbup:

_________________
ImageImage

10 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 i

EX: 04 Opel Corsa B 1.4 i SOLD Very Sad
EX: 95 Golf MK1 1.3 SOLD


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 12:27 
Offline
Filter, Exhaust & Branch
Filter, Exhaust & Branch

Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 10:15
Posts: 913
Just my 2c, I replaced both the Astra G and the kadett's windscreens with Furman glass in Montague drive. I dont have insurance so I paid R680 kadett and R750 astra. After PG in Bellville wanted R2900 for the Astra and right next door National Auto glass charged R1400 for the same car lol. So I was a little nervous using them but then I heard they have a contract with the SAP fittibg their windscreens. They all over SA with a factory in JHB. Operating in the glass business for more than a hundred years. And its shatterproof and SABS approved. They did a good job on both cars but they didnt vacuum. But Im happy with my choice. :thumbup:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 12:42 
Offline
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
CLUB ADMINISTRATOR
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007, 13:54
Posts: 49791
Location: Paarl...ex Durbs
shujinko applied that liquid to my windscreen & now the water droplets just slide off...very nice

_________________
Opel Club Cape Town Member


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 23:02 
Offline
Filter & Exhaust
Filter & Exhaust
User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 09:13
Posts: 284
Location: Kraaibak
If it does not say "shatterprufe" its not original :fight2:

_________________
________________________________
Current: '97 Astra 180iE :ecotec:
EX: '95 Kadett 200is


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 08:03 
Offline
Turbocharged
Turbocharged
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2007, 15:02
Posts: 6250
Location: The Chuck's Hideout
SasuKe1 wrote:
If it does not say "shatterprufe" its not original :fight2:

This.

_________________
.\X/.killa

2001 E39 530d
1987 E30 325i (RB25DET)


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » General Chat » Experiences


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: