Opel Club Cape Town
https://www.opelclubforum.co.za/

Almost an accident
https://www.opelclubforum.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22353
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Cors@boy [ 18 Jun 2012, 09:15 ]
Post subject:  Almost an accident

So Friday I drove to work to Paarl with the corsa. Now I've had a beeg problem with my bakkie a few months ago and fixed that but at the same time I saw that my driverside balljoints bolt and nut was stripped. so the balljoint moved up and down a few mm while driving.

I took it to a mech I know and he replaced the bolt obviously he had to grind of the old bolt so I didnt even feel like doing it myself. I guess he didnt do it himself cause the balljoint probably got damaged because of the stripped bolt.

Since I got the bakkie back.. about 2 months ago I sometimes heard this knock sound. almost like a cv but it only happened sometimes and only one knock. check everything but couldnt find it. Obviously thought the balljoint was fixed..

Friday on my way home passing the police station in Paarl in bergrivier boulevard I went into teh left lane with all those humps and bumps and patches. and.... the balljoint pulled out completely. so tried to control the bakkie and then i slightly hit the paving (only the rear wheel). and came to a halt in the middle of the road.

Luckily I was driving 60kmph. with a police bakkie behind me. He saw what happened. Blocked of the road. Eventually he organised a free towtruck just to get the bakkie out of the road. So I decided to just leave the bakkie behind the police station. They dropped me of at teh train station. Saturday morning i went back to paarl. with all the tools and bought a new balljoint and some tools i needed and even axle stands since i always borrowed someone elses.

Checked for other damage.. luckily nothing else. So i jacked up. moered in the GB CV joint that obviously pooped out. replace the balljoint and the old bolt that were damaged. and filled up GB oil again. Well it take me sometime since i only had one socket wrench ect. but 12h I was done. and now It's fixed properly.

Lessson learned : ALWAYS FIX EVERYTGHING URSELF.

Well now I have cold and my whole body hurts because of playing mechanic for one day again :lol:

Luckily it didnt happen on the N1
God is good

Author:  Gouraami [ 18 Jun 2012, 13:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Almost an accident

you are lucky, I am glad you got it sorted.

I am surprised there was no body damage?

Author:  Cors@boy [ 18 Jun 2012, 14:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Almost an accident

Thanks.. well the wheel did press against the fender but luckily the wheel toed in and then came out. or so it felt. Thats why the corsa went left then right. and when it went out the momentum was slow enough to stop.. the plastic arch slightly came loose. thats all.. must fix that joint between the bumper and wheel arch. But if it happend at a higher speed the fender and wheel wouldve probably ripped of.

Author:  $haggy [ 18 Jun 2012, 16:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: Almost an accident

u are lucky indeed.

actually u really are lucky -----

look what happened to me, and it was also loose balljoint. i was busy accelerating at the time, was flat out in 2nd gear when it happened

Image

Author:  $haggy [ 18 Jun 2012, 16:01 ]
Post subject:  Re: Almost an accident

that cost me, new subframe, strut, tie rod ends, brake caliper, fender

Author:  GTurbz [ 18 Jun 2012, 16:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Almost an accident

Ouch! 8O

Author:  Cors@boy [ 18 Jun 2012, 17:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: Almost an accident

yup..well guess I have to thank the police for driving there so I kept it slow enough.. and you were going full speed in 2nd.. Imagine this happens at 140 -160.. Actually previously that day i did drive 140 on the highway.. so it couldve happened then.

I dont call it lucky.. I call it blessed :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 2 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/