| Opel Club Cape Town https://www.opelclubforum.co.za/ | |
| 2.0 8v https://www.opelclubforum.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21154 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Ecotec16v [ 04 Feb 2012, 19:00 ] |
| Post subject: | 2.0 8v |
Not looking to start a pissing contest but just thought I'd share my 8v experiences with you guys. Personally I don't have anything against the 2.0 8v, its what got Opel into the hot hatch segment in the mid 80's so its legend! Its just that if I compare it to the only Opel I've ever owned, the Astra 180iE, its just not that quick. I test drove an Astra 200iE earlier today. Car was in good nick with cam and chip. Now these mods are comparable to what my Astra had. The owner consented to me giving his car some stick and I obliged. When driving low down and mashing the accelerator in any gear, the response is lovely. Mid range is punchy as well. When we get to the upper end of the rev range I noticed the fundamental difference between the 2.0 8v and C18SEL though. Once you get to 6000rpm in the 8v there's a huge drop off in power, whereas in the Ecotec the engine is in its element. The 200iE 8v also never felt like it had the exact same gearbox as the 180iE. It just didn't rev as quick as you wanted it to. As I said before low down and mid range it feels very responsive but that's not important when racing the Japs. My Astra with chip and 260 cams, when hundreds, made power all the way to the limiter. I was even told to fit management by MACE as the limiter was intervening too early according to them. A couple of the standard models I drove were exactly the same and very lethargic. It just doesn't like to rev on top. Maybe my 180iE was a strong example (even I was surprised) but the Ecotec loved revs, the 2.0 8v more comfortable lower down the rev range. |
|
| Author: | EvanTate [ 19 Feb 2012, 18:33 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 2.0 8v |
No contest. 8v and 16v cannot compare. I have a 2l 8v, and she runs against a 16v easily. I have power all the way to the top as well. My motor is one of a kind though. A standard 20SEH aside from some personal tinkering and manifold + exhaust. But, I have never had any competition from other 2l 8vs before and have easily run them. Yet I've driven another standard 2l 8v and the responce is not there in the high rev range. So I would have to agee with you. In general, an 8v has amazing power and responce in low and mid ranges, but the 16v has power all the way up. BUT, as we all know, there is an exception to every rule. |
|
| Author: | Morra [ 20 Feb 2012, 08:06 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 2.0 8v |
I drive 8v and you drive 16v... And were both have a Honda in our mirrors far far away. |
|
| Author: | TAUzty [ 20 Feb 2012, 09:05 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 2.0 8v |
Ai same old SOUS , was so obvious Saud will start something so . Anyways enjoy and many happy KM's
|
|
| Author: | Mr Lupini [ 20 Feb 2012, 10:30 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 2.0 8v |
16v u drive like a vtec . . . . . .
|
|
| Author: | G.Franco [ 20 Feb 2012, 10:58 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 2.0 8v |
Mr Lupini wrote: 16v u drive like a vtec . . . . . . |
|
| Author: | Ecotec16v [ 21 Feb 2012, 21:02 ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 2.0 8v |
I think an Ecotec head with c18sel intake on a 2.0 sub with 86mm flat top pistons will go lekker! Mmmmmmmmmmm I wonder! To think the 180iE only had 84mm pistons. Nog Ecotec Tauzty lmao! LOL!!! The 8v is lekker light on juice though. 550km from its untouched engine! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 2 hours |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ | |