Switch to full style
Good or Bad...post em' here
Post a reply

5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Motors

18 Oct 2012, 13:13

So in June of this year I did a major service on my car at Tobias Motors. 2 weeks ago I noticed while I was driving on the open road my heat gauge showed cold (blue) after showing +/-90degrees 5minutes before. I decided to replace the thermostat yesterday. I took off the old one and I was shocked to find that it was clogged with gasket maker on the inside. It’s almost as if they used half a tube of gasket maker to fit a thermostat. I’m not a mechanic but I know that’s not how its suppose to work.
Attachments
phpXdoYPKAM.jpg

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 13:29

This was my Quote 07/06/2012

Qty Description Unit Price TOTAL
205 000km Service
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace air filter
Replace spark plugs, replace sump plug washer R 697.00
Clean and adjust brakes all round
Top up all fluid levels
Check all lights
Check all over
Add anti-freeze to cooling system R 80.00
Engine Cleaner R 28.00
Sundries R 40.00
Replace timing belt and fanbelt,tensioner and idlers R 1,275.00
Replace waterpump R 350.00
Replace thermostat R 302.00
Replace front pads R 471.00
Replace rear brake discs R 431.00
Clean out idle valve and throttle body

SubTotal R 3,674.00

Labour R 2,475.00

TOTAL R 6,149.00

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 13:36

Chez 200is wrote:This was my Quote 07/06/2012

Qty Description Unit Price TOTAL
205 000km Service
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace air filter
Replace spark plugs, replace sump plug washer R 697.00
Clean and adjust brakes all round
Top up all fluid levels
Check all lights
Check all over
Add anti-freeze to cooling system R 80.00
Engine Cleaner R 28.00
Sundries R 40.00
Replace timing belt and fanbelt,tensioner and idlers R 1,275.00
Replace waterpump R 350.00
Replace thermostat R 302.00
Replace front pads R 471.00
Replace rear brake discs R 431.00
Clean out idle valve and throttle body

SubTotal R 3,674.00

Labour R 2,475.00

TOTAL R 6,149.00


:wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!: :wtf!:

KS Motorsport :woot:

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 13:41

True :wtf!:
Im never going back there again. If I can do it myself, then Im gonna do it myself other than that, then KSD will be good for everything else I cant do.

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 13:44

R6k??? Donner!!

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 13:49

Thats enough for money to do your head over :ninja:

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 13:57

I can get a 8v motor that has been serviced for that price. Guys..men..its really easy to do most sevices,brakes,c.v joints anythng on your cars,6k,damet,i do everything myself,i cant stamp my book though,i'd be happy to service a car for R150 if you buy your own parts,with garentee. Or teach you to d.i.y for R30 lol

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 14:07

Wayno wrote:I can get a 8v motor that has been serviced for that price. Guys..men..its really easy to do most sevices,brakes,c.v joints anythng on your cars,6k,damet,i do everything myself,i cant stamp my book though,i'd be happy to service a car for R150 if you buy your own parts,with garentee. Or teach you to d.i.y for R30 lol


I wouldnt mind paying you if you showed me how to DIY, It actually frustrates me because I dont know where to scratch or change stuff on the car with regards to the motor.

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 14:13

WezGSI wrote:R6k??? Donner!!

CALIB(C20XE) wrote:Thats enough for money to do your head over :ninja:

.
Wayno wrote:I can get a 8v motor that has been serviced for that price. Guys..men..its really easy to do most sevices,brakes,c.v joints anythng on your cars,6k,damet,i do everything myself,i cant stamp my book though,i'd be happy to service a car for R150 if you buy your own parts,with garentee. Or teach you to d.i.y for R30 lol


:oops: I didnt know at the time, I learned the hard way. Thats why Im sharing the experience so that others dont make the same mistake.

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 15:01

i redid my sub assembly and head for 6600 incl labour . . jisalaaaaaaaaaik

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 15:20

Yeah man! how can they charge 500 just for front brakes? WTF

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 15:29

Well

I know i posted some time back I had used Tobias motors to service my car and attend to some issues, and at the time I thought i got a good deal.

Just before I sold my car, i realised that they had charged around 3k, but had done very little.
I had a misfiring issue, and they replaced all 4 leads with cheap no-name brand leads.
There was a receipt for wheel bearings done, but less than 10 000km later the bearings needed to be replaced again

They were asked to inspect the fuel lines and tank because i was getting heavy fuel consumption : Never happened. The next mechy I used sorted this out.

They diagnosed a noise coming from the front suspension as me needing a new gearbox.
All I actually needed was a new front left hub.

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 15:41

GUMPTION wrote:Yeah man! how can they charge 500 just for front brakes? WTF


That is what they cost. I got a quote for R480 for ATE and R550 for Ferodo's about 6 months ago for front pads for my IS at Midas, just the pads. R128 for Moto-part

6K - Wow.

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 15:47

if it includes parts then it fine but just labour? I dont know...

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

18 Oct 2012, 16:48

New engine C20NE is 4500
Antifreeze to cooling system is easy on a 200is lol drain water by main pipe of radi and take off water cap and throw in anti freeze done. R25 for antifreeze and 10min job

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

22 Oct 2012, 08:19

chez was this on the 200is or the other car i saw you with?

you are in the blackheath area right... you have my number. next time call me when you need something done and i will send you to a mechanic close to you.

i hate when i see people getting ripped off like this. i remember posting something similar a few months ago where my TL got quoted over 5k for a service and replacing a coil pack on her corsa. after speaking to me she called the guy back and he quoted her 3k because she had a bit of knowledge. eventually i had a mechanic drive out and do everything she needed and more for 1.5k

Re: 5 months later had to get another thermostat (Tobias Mo

22 Oct 2012, 09:29

8 Valves of glory wrote:chez was this on the 200is or the other car i saw you with?

you are in the blackheath area right... you have my number. next time call me when you need something done and i will send you to a mechanic close to you.

i hate when i see people getting ripped off like this. i remember posting something similar a few months ago where my TL got quoted over 5k for a service and replacing a coil pack on her corsa. after speaking to me she called the guy back and he quoted her 3k because she had a bit of knowledge. eventually i had a mechanic drive out and do everything she needed and more for 1.5k


I got your digits I will definitely remember that. That service was done on the Astra G 1.6. The kadett I usually service myself. I thought I’ll give the Astra to the professionals to look after. Anyway thanks 8 valves.
Post a reply